Thursday, January 6, 2011

"Bands You Should Be Listening To" Volume 4: SuiseiNoboAz

Today's Subject: SuiseiNoboAz

I've been sitting on this for a while now (read: almost a year). I've wanted to talk about this band for just about forever, but I wasn't sure if it was a good candidate. The thing is, they only have one album out. No other EPs or singles. The ten songs on their self-titled album is all that they have offered so far to the world.

But holy shit was this not one of my favorite CDs in the last year - if not ever.



("From Mercury with Love")

The trio formed in Takadanobaba, Tokyo in 2007 and came out with their debut CD in March 2010. It was produced by Number Girl and Zazen Boys' Mukai Shutoku, which makes sense because the little Zazen Boy's I've heard is pretty similar in tone. They released it on their own record label.

And that's as much info there is readily available on the net. But seriously, did you listen to that song above? What? You need more? Go for it:


Damn I can't stand how awesome these guys are. I almost went to see them right before I had to go back the US, but it was really last minute and I was running out of money. Man I wish I had done it anyway.

I apologize that I don't have much else to say about them but just say how great they are. But even after only a single album they have this really defined and polished sound. And each member of the trio really know how to play - listen to those bass licks in that first video. And the drums in this:

プールサイド殺人事 (Poolside Murder Case)



I know this isn't how most people would describe them (cause it's not how anyone uses this word), but to me, these guys got swagger. I'm counting down the days until any news about a follow-up EP or album.

How to Get 'Em: Looks like CD Japan is your only option if you live in the US.
 

God Bless America

No comments:

Post a Comment