Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Some Updates

Some minor changes added to the site. I added a tags section so you can find or limit yourself to certain articles (like the Kumozaru Project). I also added a few links of places I go to online pretty much everyday. I'm new to this whole blogging thing, so I don't know if there's some sort of etiquette involved when linking to others' websites, so, um.... hope we're cool, you guys!

Also, new story up below. For this story, I tried to be a lot freer in translating, which lead to sentences that, you know, aren't word for word. I approve of this kind of translating (I was recently comparing Alfred Birnbaum's A Wild Sheep Chase to the original, man does he do so some amazing work!), because translating across any language really cannot be word for word. It just doesn't work that way. There are many schools of thought on translation, and many different kinds of views on what's to be considered "faithful" to a text. I won't get into these ideas anymore (at the moment), but story #2 was an exercise in colloquial constructions and cultural readability. So I stand by the choices I made. Of course, I'm always up for a conversation on alternatives for comparison, so those of you who have the text and would've done something differently, hit me up in the comments. I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment